Friday, April 12, 2013

Love language

In school, I took an interpersonal and communication foundation class. In both of those classes we went over the different personality tests they have out there, because it is key to find out how you communicate in order to have successful relationships. In that same class we read the book, The 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman. The five love languages discussed in the book are: Quality time, physical touch, receiving gifts, words of affirmation and acts of service. The book basically states that we show love how we want to receive it, and if our "love tank" is empty, we are less inclined to show love and affection.

I had read parts of the book before and had taken the quiz when I was in high school. It was no surprise that as a teenage girl I was physical touch. I then took it again in my college class and I was quality time. A few days ago I retook the test out of pure curiosity. It came as no surprise that once again my dominant love language had changed.
Since I've been married, even without taking this test, I knew that quality time and acts of service were my top languages. It also came as no surprise that words of affirmation ranked lowest. I would much rather go out to a rodeo with Ethan and spend time with him rather than have him tell me my shirt looks nice on me. I would also rather have him clean the kitchen for me than bring me home flowers.

I remember talking about it with my mom, and I'm pretty sure her's was acts of service. I remember thinking, acts of service, that's lame. I guess it's true though. You really do become your parents when you get older and you realize what is truly important to you.

As cheesy as it may sound, this has actually been very helpful for me because: 1. I realize what is it I need and 2. I am coming to realize what Ethan needs as well. We don't have the same love language and it can sometimes be a struggle because I feel like I'm showing him love, but it's not necessarily his love language and vice versa. We're learning together though and it gets easier.

Go ahead and take the quiz for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment