Monday, April 8, 2013

Conference weekend

This weekend was General Conference. Instead of going to church we listen to eight hours of our church leaders giving us direction, council and words of encouragement. Growing up, I was never very excited for conference other than for the fact that we could stay in our pajamas on Sunday.

In October of 2009 my outlook changed. I was living in Milwaukee at the time and I had some great friends that were examples to me. We all got together and watched conference together as the Bishop's house. I remember laying on the floor when Elder Holland bore his testimony of Book of Mormon. Never had a testimony struck me so hard that all I could do was sit there in amazement and listen to his prophetic testimony.

Since that moment, I have tried to listen to every session of conference and do my best to soak in as much as I can. The words they speak are pertinent to all of our lives and to the time we are in.

One of my favorite talks was by L. Whitney Clayton about marriage. Here was a quote I loved:
I want to go back and review this talk over and over again because the council he gave and the way he presented it was beautiful. I don't just want a good marriage. I want a terrific marriage.
I'm so grateful for the doctrines and principles we learn from the leaders in our church. It always gives me a clearer perspective about my purpose here and how to endure and enjoy this life we have been given.

1 comment: