Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Slight plan detour

Before I graduated last July, Ethan and I had been looking for places to live so that we could get all of our stuff settled in before we got married and started all of the traveling that took place after. We found a townhome that we absolutely loved. We signed the next day and got all of the fixings to fill it the next couple days as well. We signed a contract for a year, with possible plans of resigning on.

Fast forward to this week. We got a note on our door from our landlord. Other than us dropping the check at their mailbox every month, we haven't had to contact them at all (thank heavens). The note kind of freaked me out a little bit because in my mind something's wrong.

My assumption wasn't completely off. We called him one night but he didn't answer so we left a message. He called us back in the morning letting us know that they don't really want to keep the place anymore so they were going to offer it to us for $95,000 or they would put it on the market for $99,000. Well, if they would have given us that option a year ago, we may have thought more seriously about it. Even then, it's a little pricey and we would only have it a short time. We told him that that just wasn't in the cards for us and we hung up the phone.

Ethan then got a call from the Realtor that's selling the place and he told us that we need to give him a key so that he can have access to show the house. Now, I know that that's normal, but I don't like that at all. I don't want someone to have access to my house--my things-- when I'm not there. He tried to make us feel better by telling us they would always call before they come. Is that supposed to settle all of my dislike of that situation. Heck no! On top of that, we need to have it clean before they show it. Luckily, I just implemented a fantastic cleaning schedule so our house is always presentable, but still. What if my unmentionables are out for their little peering eyes to see?? (That honestly wouldn't happen, but still.) What if?

So, I did what I would do in any situation like this. I got on Craigslist and found two other places that I really like. One it just a building down from us, and the other is closer to campus, bigger, and an end unit--love that!

They told us that if it did get sold our contract would be null and void, which is actually not true, but if they want to play that game, maybe we'll just leave early and let the house sit, renter less!

Who knows what will actually happen. That thing won't sell that fast. It's a little overpriced for what it is. But, I will have a back up plan, preparing for whatever may come. (Hopefully I'll get a few pictures before we actually leave since I didn't get any before!)

No comments:

Post a Comment