Thursday, May 16, 2013

Late night

Two nights ago Ethan had a project due for one of his classes. The class is basically all about Excel and learning different functions. For this project, he was giving four possible job offers right out of college. He had to come up with 20 different criteria of what to consider, (salary, location, crime rate, etc). I tried to help him to make it as realistic as possible as to what we truly would consider. I'm also decent at Excel, so I helped him a little bit there as well.

In order to put them on the same playing field, and then weigh each according to importance, you have to get them to an adjusted score. There are a few different formulas we used to get it and then you multiply that number by your weighted score for each and you come out with a number. The one that comes out with the higher number is supposed to be one that you consider. Our's actually landed us in San Jose, CA. Not that we'd ever really look there, (not that we wouldn't leave it an open option), but when you put California up against places like Rawlins, WY and Flint, MI, San Jose it was, with Houston has the second place.

We were able to get all of the totals and everything done, and then it got to the part where we needed to make it visually appealing. This is the part that I enjoy most. I love doing graphs and charts and making it easy to interpret. What we had done was made a drop down list that if you choose 1 it pulls up the first option, choose 2, the second, etc. What we then wanted to do was have a new graph pop up for each of the offers as well. Bad idea.

We started this part around 11:45 pm or so, and it's not as easy as it sounds. In fact, because the graph isn't technically in a cell, it makes it ridiculously hard. We were on YouTube forever trying to figure it out. around 2:30 am, we still hadn't figured it out, so we gave up and make a graph just of the weights each criteria was given. I kind of dozed off around 3:00, and then we make it up to bed finally at 3:30 am.

The next day was BRUTAL! I didn't understand because I used to do this all the time in school. I had many nights up until 4:00 or 5;00 in the morning. The difference is, is that the next day I wasn't sitting in quiet office, all by myself with no one to talk to. I can't tell you how many times I almost fell asleep. I came home from work, went upstairs to my bed and took a nice little nap. We had some dinner, played tennis and then came home for Ethan to do some homework. I had good intentions of getting to bed early. I guess compared to the night before it was early. All I can say is I'm excited for this weekend to catch up on sleep a little bit. Only two more days. I can make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment