Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Dance lessons

Last night for our ward party we did a service auction. I would say the majority of the people offered to watch kids for a night (we have a TON of kids), others offered talents, and me? I offered a plate of homemade cookies.

It was also a BBQ and since Ethan is in the elder's quorum presidency, he got put at the grill and I sat with a couple girls from the ward whose husbands weren't able to come. We talked and had a great time and had good conversation.

To pay for the services we earned money points. They had a sheet of paper that you filled out. You got points for doing any of these things within the month of May:

  • Attend temple
  • Read scriptures
  • Said Prayers
  • FHE
  • Attended devotional
  • Etc.
There were quite a few more activities and they were each worth between $50-$100. We ended up having $1,000 out of $1,400 to spend. They read through a few of the services and I had my eye on two of them, 3 lbs of beef or dance lessons. The auctioneer was going about a mile a minute (just kidding, but I hope you started saying that like John Michael Montgomery singing "Sold"!) The auctioneer wasn't really that great at all but it was fun. I figured the meet was going to be a hot ticket item, so I decided I was going to bid on the dance lessons. There is a couple in our ward here who are on the Dance Alliance traveling team here at BYU-Idaho, so I knew they were going to be good. 

The bidding started and I raised my hand each time someone challenged me. I got to $1,000 and was ready to keep going. Luckily, I got it for that amount because it took me looking back down at my paper to realize that's all I had! We won and I couldn't be more excited. Ethan and I have talked multiple times about going and trying dance up on campus. Now, we don't have to feel ridiculous in front of everyone because we get a free private lesson!

The activity wrapped up and everyone had a great time. The meat went for the full $1,400 amount so I'm happy I didn't wait to bid! But we definitely didn't leave empty handed. The bishop had lots of hamburger left over so we took a sleeve of patties that we can grill up ourselves. Score! All in all a success. 

No comments:

Post a Comment