Thursday, February 28, 2013

"Swing" of things

I am a self-proclaimed sports enthusiast as well as is most of my family. I love sports and always have. Growing up I played basketball, soccer, softball and I also did clogging. I would have done more sports but there are only so many hours in a day and only so much money!

Other than volleyball, one sport I wish I would have gotten in to in school is tennis. Tennis wasn't really a family sport so it never crossed my mind to try it. My brother Cameron picked it up in high school and did really well. He continued playing and even played a little in college. Then my other family members started picking it up to the point where we usually have a little tennis tournament at our family reunions. The problem is because I don't play it often at all, I'm not that great so I usually don't get too involved in the tournament.

Once I moved to Mesa with my sister, I wanted to change that. I wanted to learn to play well. We lived less than a mile away from a person's private court in their back yard who gave us permission to use it for lessons. We hired a local kid and Kara and I took lessons once a week together. It was so much fun and I loved playing with her. Unfortunately, I moved back up to school and was left tennis-less again.

That is, until this week. I have a friend up here, Whitney. We met through our clogging class up here, but she was actually my sister's roommate/best friend when they went to school here. We hit it off and hung out a bit. We didn't ever live with each other so we didn't really create that same "bond" but we are friends. I saw that she posted online looking for someone to play tennis with her before the tennis season started up here. Could this be my chance? Yes. I emailed her letting her know that if she didn't have anyone else I would be more than happy to go play. Unfortunately she's really good and I'm not, but I know we'll still have a good time.

It'll be nice to get back into playing once a week and change up the scenery just a bit and get my swing back!

No comments:

Post a Comment