Thursday, January 24, 2013

Transition

I feel like I am in a time of transition. Yes, I've kind of gotten through most of the "transition" stages, school, graduation, marriage, etc., but life is a constant transition. Ethan and I have been talking recently about how we wish we were at that point of being settled. As I've mentioned before, it's hard to be at the younger end of larger families. Both of us each come from families with five kids. I'm the youngest of my family and he's the second to youngest. It's hard to see your older siblings settling into their lives and knowing we're years away from that. We want to be in those positions where we can travel and buy things that college kids really can't afford. We want to be in our own home and be able to do whatever we want to it. We also eventually want to have kids.

I think the hardest thing for me is knowing that I'll have all of that someday, but I'll have to wait. I think we tend to forget that for the most part, our families didn't have all the stuff we're wanting right now when they were in our stage. I'm such a "I want it now" person that I forget the work and time it takes to have those lives. I just have to keep reminding myself I'll have that life, eventually.

I'm just waiting for that day when I'm finally at that stage and I wish I was back at this stage because life, although it doesn't seem like it right now, is more simple. I feel like I'm going to keep getting this reminder for a while that this is a time where I need to enjoy the life that I have. I can't always keep wanting more because where does it stop? There will always be more to want. How can I expect to enjoy more if I can't/don't enjoy what I already have? I think there's a reason we have transition periods in our lives. They're here to help us prepare for what's next, whatever that may be.

2 comments:

  1. yes, be patient my dear, be patient. it will come all too quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mortgages suck. and steve would say house projects do to!

    ReplyDelete