Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Best Friends

In the past four years I have become friends with multiple people, but I would definitely have to say that two of them top the charts. Both are former roommates (each of two years) and both of them are the only ones from college that I truly stay in contact with.

The first is Brennan. She and I became roommates my second semester at college. We were living in the same complex and she happened to be roommates with a girl that I because pretty good friends with and decided to move in with after my first semester. We didn't really do much together but we were all friends and had a good time. I went away to Milwaukee for the fall and came back to live with them again. That was the semester we really got close. We were and still are complete opposites. She's quite high strung and I'm fairly relaxed, she's super blingy and I'm more simple, and she's a bit of a hypochondriac and I'm well.. not. Even through all of these polar opposites we were best friends. We did everything together. I couldn't believe that I could become that close to someone I had known for such a short time. We had another good year together and then her missionary came home and she finished school with her associates. I was part of her wedding and It was an amazing day. She looked beautiful and I could tell she was so happy. We may not talk everyday anymore but anytime we do we pick up right where we left off. She's pregnant and due any day and I cannot wait to meet little Lainey and watch her grow up. 
The second is my dear sweet Laura. All of my roommates were getting married off so I needed to find new roommates. Laura and I met in our Mass Media class with Bro. Skinner. I was talking to a few other people in the class and mentioned my basketball coaches name-Dave Leavitt. She chimed in asking me, basically, if she heard me correctly. Evidently he was in her ward and she knew him and his roommates fairly well. From there we'd talk in class and she'd even come to my basketball games and we'd do the occasional hang outs. Laura was kind of in the same predicament at the time where she was wanting to get out of the place where she was, and get a new place with new roommates. There was a new complex being built so we went to check it out together. I would be leaving for the fall and she would be as well so we would come back together in the winter. It was one of the best decisions I have ever made. We fit together so well. Unlike Brennan, Laura and I were very similar. We were on the same page on so much. We even had the same major and some classes together. We eventually worked it out one semester where we had every single class together. It was awesome! We did AAF (American Advertising Federation) together and competed in nationals. It was so fun to have a best friend there to create memories there together. She'd even wake me up every morning with the most soothing voice saying, "Good morning princess, time to wake up." Who wouldn't want an alarm clock like that? I could always go to her whenever I needed someone to listen to me. In June of 2011, my friend Scott introduced me to Ethan. Laura and Scott had a banter relationship but I knew they liked each other. It ended up working out for all of us because while Ethan and I started dating, Laura and Scott, to much denial, started dating as well. We all hung out all the time and finished off the semester with myself going to AZ, Ethan to NC, Laura to Thailand and Scott stayed in Rexburg. Our relationship flourished as well as theirs and they wound up getting engaged in Thailand over Christmas break. Our last two semesters were a little different but they were still some of my favorite times. Laura, Scott and I all graduated together and then they were off to get married a couple weeks before us. It was so hard to say goodbye knowing that we couldn't go to their wedding and they couldn't come to ours, and that we had no idea when we would see each other again. It was hard for me to go from always having that best friend basically every hour of every day to a phone call or text every so often. Luckily I bounce back quick and am so happy for them and where they are. And just like I knew it would, our friendship is still strong and I'm so thankful for her and everything she did for me. 

1 comment: