Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Home teachers

Since we've been married, we've had home teachers come to our house once. It didn't ever bother me because growing up I don't remember many home teachers coming. I always saw my dad go, so I knew we were supposed to have them, but it almost felt like it would be a waste for them to come to our house when there were so many others in the ward that could use them more.

Last night our home teachers came last night. What I loved about it was how they wanted to get to know us. They didn't just give a message and leave, they took true interest in who we were. While they were at our house they also asked how we were doing with couple scripture study/prayer. We had to laugh because this semester and even most of last semester was not our most successful. One of them took the opportunity to challenge us to make it a priority and was even bold enough to ask us if it was OK that he call or text us once a week or so to see how we're doing.

I truly am grateful for his ability to listen to the Spirit and that he challenged us. It's good for us to be held accountable for the things we know we should be doing. We are going to take this challenge and work up to where it's no longer a "challenge" but rather because it becomes part of our daily routine-no different than brushing our teeth everyday or eating a meal.

It has also renewed my thinking on visiting teaching/home teaching. If you work with/through/by the Spirit, you'll never know what kind of difference you can make in someone's life. That's something I want to strive for is making sure I'm doing my calling as a visiting teacher and maybe sometime in my life I can make a difference for someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment