Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Like father like daughter


If someone would have asked me years ago if I thought I was like my dad I would say absolutely not. We seemed to be complete opposites and I was OK with that and I assume he was as well. I then took a class where we did the color personality test. I learned more about myself and even my dad in that class than I ever thought possible. I realized that I have a good amount of red in me, which comes from my father. We are also very much blue, and we all know that I have some yellow as well!
(Take the test here)


 REDS
Need to look good technically, be right, and be respected. They are strong leaders and love challenges.
 BLUES
Need to have integrity and be appreciated. They are focused on quality and creating strong relationships.
 WHITES
Need to be accepted and treated with kindness. They are logical, objective, and tolerant of others.
 YELLOWS
Need to be noticed and have fun. They love life, social connections, and being positive and spontaneous
Since then, I have discovered many ways my dad and I are alike. It became apparent most recently when Ethan got frustrated with me because I've been falling asleep on the couch at night and I don't come upstairs until the wee hours of the morning. He told me how he tries to wake me up multiple times (supposedly I get angry with him for trying). If I don't wake up he goes and showers or watches a show and then tries again. I tell him I'm coming, so on and so forth. He eventually goes to bed and I sleep on the couch, or floor, until I wake up and go upstairs. 

It may not be clear what this has to do with my dad, but for anyone that knows him, knows that he sleeps more on the floor or couch than he does in his bed, and it's hard to wake him up. I remember one time in high school my best friend Jordan and I came home around 12:30 am or so and my dad was sleeping on the floor and my mom was vacuuming around him. (This is not a common occurrence. My mom usually doesn't clean that late but we had visitors coming in to town.) We went to my room and she asked how my dad could sleep like that with all the noise around him. At the time, I had no idea. 

I know now. It is a glorious skill that I have inherited from my dad. Ethan may not be able to stand it, but I love it and can see how it could be very beneficial in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment