Thursday, August 22, 2013

Lake Powell- Final

A couple days into our trip there was another boat that anchored up near us. Brennan's dad could tell they needed a little help, so a few of the boys headed over. They ran into a problem when they find out there were from France and didn't speak English very well. Luckily, Brennan's mom lived in Paris for a while and was able to communicate with them. They had a couple of girls the same age as the girls on our boat and they had an amazing time hanging out. They even had a great missionary opportunity. Hopefully something they talked about stuck!
One of the things that I didn't get any pictures of, because I never went, was fishing. The boys were up every morning and gone for hours. They would come back do the occasional fishing throughout the day, and then go back out in the evening. This was one of the fish that was caught by Brennan's brother Mitch. He named him Baxter. He carried that thing around for a good 5-10 minutes. Unfortunately, when he put Baxter back into the wild, he didn't make it. He was a good fish. 
Another thing we did almost everyday that I don't have a single picture of is finding crawdads and literally hand feeding them to the bass. Brennan's parents bought each of their kids a pair of goggles and fins. Luckily, Ethan decided to bring his goggles and fins as well. They were well used and was probably one of the highlights for everyone. Mitch, Drake (Brennan's other brother), and Jordan (Mitch's friend) were the best at catching the crawdads. At one point I think they had over 15. We decided to use them as bait for the bass. We fed a couple of them and then before we knew it we were being swarmed! 

My first time with the fins and goggles (after the boys had been feeding the bass) I was swimming underwater with Brennan trying to find the fish. The water was a little murky, so we didn't have a long range of vision. I was swimming away when all of a sudden I come face-to-face with a decent sized bass opening and closing it's mouth at me. I'm hoping you are envisioning how it happened.  It scared the heck out of me and I screamed underwater. I swam up to the top and found Brennan laughing at me. She was underwater with me and heard me scream. I eventually warmed up to the idea of being that close to the fish, and I eventually hand-fed the bass myself!

The last full day we were there we went out on the boat again. Ethan wanted to slalom. The boat was having a hard time getting him up, and Doug, Brennan's dad, started giving him a hard time. He asked me how much he weighed and when I told him he would not believe me. He asked how tall he was and his still didn't believe me. He bet his boat on it, but unfortunately, we didn't shake on it. So, when we did get a picture of him standing on a scale and it reading the exact weight we told him, we didn't get the boat. Dang it!
In true Brennan fashion.
We finished off the night with pictures of the group we were with. The boys: Ethan, Austin, Doug, Mitch, Jordan & Drake
The girls: Me, Brennan, Kristin, Lainey May, Alex (Brennan's Sister), Marisa (Alex's friend)
Best friends
Work it.
One of my favorite little girls.
We had the most amazing time and we could be more grateful for this amazing family inviting us and treating us as if we were their own. We can't wait to have the opportunity to go back, and from the sounds of it, it looks like it might happen again next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment