Saturday, October 11, 2014

Louisiana Trip- Part 1

Last weekend we had the amazing opportunity to visit Ethan's grandparents (Ethan's mom's parents) in Bossier, LA. I have never been there before (or met them for that matter), and Ethan hadn't been for about seven years. We decided it was time to make the trip and it was awesome!

We flew out Thursday afternoon. Let it be known, Dallas is probably the worst places to fly in or out of when it has a bad storm! We got on our plane in Orange County, and had to sit there for a good hour and a half. I had it all planned out: I would wait to feed Nixon until right before we took off, and then he would sleep the majority of the flight. Everything worked out perfect until I had just finished feeding him, and then said our flight would be delayed 1-1.5 hours. Seriously? So, right as we were taking off, he woke up! Luckily, he didn't do too bad, but Baby Einstein helped!

Our flight from Dallas to Shreveport was also delayed. Long story short, we were just lucky enough that our flight wasn't cancelled. There were so many people stranded there for the night, and I was so thankful that we weren't stuck there too long with a 5 month baby. We got in late and were picked up by Grammy (Ethan's mom) and Great-Grandpa Hardy.

On Friday, Ethan's grandpa Archie wanted to take us to the Barksdale Air Force Base plane museum. I'll be honest, I'm not that in to planes and learning all about the different planes and what they were used for, but I loved being able to watch Archie and Ethan get excited about it. Archie was in the Air Force and was a plane mechanic. He could, literally, tell us something about every single plane that was there.



As we were walking along the plane path I looked and beheld this little creature.
I have NEVER seen an inchworm before and I was so entranced watching it go! I may or may have not been paying more attention to it then the planes for a bit of the tour.

These planes may just look like everyday Air Force planes, but not for Archie. These planes, not just this type of plane, but these exact serial number planes, are ones that he worked on when he was on base.
He also has a plaque on the base that has his and his son's years of service on it. It's fun to see your family have lasting history.
I loved hearing about how Archie got into the Air Force. I hope I remember it correctly. If not, hopefully Sarah (Ethan's mom) can correct me.

He tells it like this: He grew up in a TINY little town where everyone knew everyone. He was at the age to be called into the draft. People had started getting their draft letters and he was just waiting for his. One day the post man stopped by and let Archie know he had gotten his letter. Archie asked the postman if he could wait until the next day to deliver the letter. The post man agreed. Right after that, Archie went to the recruiters office and ended up joining the Air Force that day, avoiding being drafted. That's one way to do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment