Monday, October 13, 2014

Louisiana trip- Part 2

The rest of our weekend was filled with festivities that can be summed up in three words: Small town goodness. Archie grew up in a tiny, little town in Louisiana called Robeline. It's one of those places where everyone knows everyone, and you're probably related somehow, even if it's distantly. While we were there, it just happened to be having the Robeline Heritage Festival. What do you do when a little town celebrates? You celebrate with it!

Saturday morning we drove down to Robeline to hit up the festivities, but first we had to stop to get gas. We were in one van while the rest of the crew was in the other. Archie pulled up to the pump. We were on full so we stayed on the side. His grandpa waved us over to the pump and told us to fill up. When Ethan told him we were full, Archie said, "Well, top it off!" I think we got two gallons in. We topped off every time we went off. It was pretty entertaining.

We got there early enough to get their regular parade spot. We walked around the little part and got some fantastic fair food.


The parade started around 2:00pm. I grew up in a small town, so this little parade brought back some fond memories of picking up candy while everyone waved at the procession.
All I have to say, is when I think of Southern pageants, these crowns are when I expect. And I thought my crown was big! It was slightly entertaining watching these girls walking around because the majority of them had to hold them to keep them from falling off!
One difference I noticed from the parade I grew up going to, compared to this one, is that it seems like anyone seems to get in the parade. I don't know how many ATV's and other vehicles were in the parade, just to be there.
They were sporting flags, so I guess they're ok to be there. ;)
 We got loads of candy, had some beautiful weather, and had a great time!
(Ethan's Grandma Loretta)

No comments:

Post a Comment