Monday, July 21, 2014

Brigadeiro

I was on a kick this weekend when it came to cooking and baking! We hit up this little international market that had AMAZING produce prices. I got 3 pounds of tomatoes for $.99 and two jalepeƱo peppers for $.08. I couldn't think of anything better to make than some fresh salsa. Once I made that, I knew I wanted to do tacos for Sunday dinner.

If I was going to make fresh salsa, then I figured I might as well make fresh homemade tortillas as well! They were SO much easier than I ever could have imagined and they were fantastic! I got the recipe from here. Trust me, so easy!

Then I found out it was my friend Libby's birthday. She has been so sweet to me ever since we got here. I would say at least once a week, she texts me to see if Nixon and I want to do something with her and her two little girls.

I knew I had to do something for her birthday! I knew she loved the Oreo truffles I did for the 4th of July, but I didn't have any Oreos on hand, so I decided to do a different style of truffle. A Brazilian truffle called Brigadeiro, which is similar to a bonbon. I've made them once before and I thought she might like them.
Recipe: Adapted from here and here

1 can (14 oz) Sweetened condensed milk
3 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon of butter

In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, combine cocoa, butter and condensed milk. (It will be at a rolling boil). Cook, stirring, until thickened, about 10 minutes. When you turn the pan and it all moves together, stir another 1 or 2 minutes. Remove from heat. You can either keep it in the pan to cool off, or spray a plate with cooking spray and pour it out onto the plate (I feel like this cools it off a bit faster). Once you're able to handle it, spray your hand with cooking spray or rub butter (to keep it from sticking to you) and roll out to desired size. I made them about 1 inch in diameter and I was able to get about 26 out of a single recipe. 
Feel free to roll them in any kind of topping such as powdered sugar, coconut, sprinkles, or any other toppings that you fancy. Consume directly after or let them chill for 30 minutes or so (I think they're a bit better chilled). Sit down and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment