Friday, March 7, 2014

Who am I?

This is a question I've been having for a while now. I don't know if it's because of all of the changes that will be happening in the next two months or if it's been something that has been on my mind for a while but I'm just now getting to the point where I want to know.

In my quest to find myself, I have been surprised to find just how lost I have been in knowing who I am whether it's understanding why I like the things I do, or why I struggle believing things that I have "known" since I was little.

I did a little exercise of writing down the positive and negatives of who I am. The first thing I wrote down on my list was that I was a daughter of God, because of course that's part of who I am, right? As I was discussing this with a friend, they asked me what it meant for me to be a daughter of God. I was at a loss for words. How was I supposed to know that? It's just something you say because you "know" it's true. I honestly couldn't answer the question.

They then went on to discuss that this principle that I struggle to understand and accept could be a big part of why I've struggled most of my like with a lack of self-worth and self-confidence. I never would have thought that would have been a reason in any way. But, they more they discussed it with me, the more it made sense to me.

If I truly believed and understood what it means to be a daughter of God, that feeling of lacking in worth and confidence, would minimize, if not completely remove those negative feelings. Not to say that I wouldn't have my struggles, but maybe it would help me be a little happier and feel like I was worth a lot more than I do.

I've made it a goal to study this and try and truly understand, believe and accept this principle that I am a daughter of God and have great worth. Will it take some time? Most likely. Will it be hard? Possibly. But I know that I want to be able to teach my children that they are children of God and that they have worth above anything else. How can I teach that if I don't believe/apply that for myself? The best way to teach is by example.

I found this quote during some of reading and I thought it was perfect. I may even print this up and put it in my house somewhere I can see it everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment