Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Goodbye 2013

The end of 2013 was fantastic. Although, it didn't start off that way. 

We traveled to Payette, the Friday before Christmas, to spend the holidays with my family. The roads were clear until we got just east of Mountain Home. After that, it was pretty bad. We could barely see three feet in front of us. The weather starting clearing up a bit when we hit Boise, but the roads were still pretty bad. We were driving fairly moderate for the conditions, but we had car after car passing us a much higher speeds.

We must have just hit a patch of slush because it no time Ethan was crossing into another lane, and not by choice. We started sliding sideways and towards the concrete median. It honestly felt like we were in slow motion, because we had enough time to brace ourselves for the impact and Ethan had plenty of time to continually tell me we're going to be ok but that we were going to hit.

We hit the median on the right front fender, which then propelled us into a 360 (on the interstate) and hitting the back right fender as well. Ethan was able to gain control and get us pulled off to the shoulder (without ever having another car involved in the accident).

I was freaking out a little bit but when we finally got pulled off I lost it just a bit. My dad called seconds after we pulled off and I had to pass the phone off because I couldn't talk. We turned on our hazard lights and drove to an exit that we could pull off and assess the car a bit better.

My brother who live just a few minutes from the exit, met us and we decided our car should not be driven long distances, so we took the back roads and stayed at his house that night. We got everything worked out the next morning to get our car fixed and a rental car to continue driving to Payette. This was the damage:
We are both so grateful that we weren't harmed and that no one else was involved. We know we were extremely blessed because it could have been much, much worse. 

After that debacle, the rest of the year was great (maybe not so much for Ethan)! The entire break was full of relaxation and enjoying time with my family. On Christmas Eve, Derrick and his family, Cameron and his wife and Ethan and I all gathered at my parents house. We didn't do the tradition that I remember us doing all growing up, but we watched a little move about the first Christmas for the kids and then had fun talking and hanging out together. 

The next morning we woke up and Ethan was feeling pretty crummy. He was coming down with the flu, but that didn't ruin his morning once he saw he finally got the .22 he's been wanting! 
I could not wait for him to open it and see his reaction, that I made him open all of his presents first. 
It was then my turn to open my gifts. I was so excited when I opened this beauty! It's the 50 mm lens that I've been wanting (along with my amazing Steve Madden pumps)!
I know it may not seem exciting to others to get a muffin tin for Christmas, but I got this same William-Sonoma muffin tin two years ago from my sister, when I was living with her. I never wanted to take it to school because I didn't want it to get messed up from roommates. Long story short, my parents brought it to me before we got married, and we when got back from our honeymoon, it was gone. I'm so glad to have it again and see how much I love it!
The day after Christmas, my mom and I went shopping (since Ethan was dead to the world with the flu). I have really been wanting to find some maternity jeans since I only like the demi panel and the ones from Gap I tried on, I despised. So we were on a hunt. The first place we went was to Macy's. I tried on one pair and I was done. This whole body changing thing is really doing a number on my self-image. Luckily, my mom was able to find some great things and it was fun spending time with her. 

The next couple days, my mom was working and Ethan was still getting over the flu, so it was very laid back. We stayed in our pajamas most of the day and I occasionally put my make-up on. 

New Year's Eve came and with everyone feeling 100% again, we all decided to head over to Boise to do some shopping. We went out for a late lunch, and found out that all of the places we were wanting to go, they were closing early. We were able to finally find some jeans that would work for me from Old Navy, and then headed to the mall. Bath and Body Works was having their semi-annual sale, so I got some lotion for super cheap! Gap was also having a good sale, which meant some cheap clothes for baby boy Thomas!

Once the stores closed, we headed to Derrick and Kim's for the festivities. We had some great food and enjoyed our time together. We watched the Potato drop (it's a new thing Boise did) simultaneously with the ball drop. We ended our night with a New Year's kiss and headed home.
I'm so excited for this upcoming year and all of the changes and exciting things it will bring. Happy New Year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment