Thursday, June 5, 2014

Mom fail

I had my first real mom fail today, and I feel awful.

Last week I went to the DMV to get my new California license. Oh my word, that is the busiest DMV I've ever seen in my life! I was there almost three hours! Long story short, I finally got through the line and got my picture taken. The lady failed to tell me that the camera would flash. I heard the camera go and then I looked away. All of a sudden the flash went off. I told the lady she might want to look at it and make sure I was actually looking. She said it was fine, so I went on my way.

Fast forward to today. I received my license in the mail and I was FUMING! What should I see but a picture of me not even looking at the camera! I immediately called the DMV and the wait time was 1.5 hours! Luckily they have a call back option so I chose that.

Meanwhile, Nixon was getting a little fussy because it was almost time for him to go down for a nap. I was still annoyed about the license, and I could feel myself getting a little impatient. I finally got the call back. I started explaining the situation to the lady on the phone and all of a sudden, I can tell the call was dropped! Seriously?? I just wanted 1.5 hours to talk to someone! I call back immediately and there's another ridiculous long wait and it was almost the end of business hours. I got off the phone and Nixon was now in full cry. I told him to chill out (like he knows what that means, seriously), and tried to see if there was another office I could call. Nope. He got even louder and I had finally had enough, I wrapped him up and put him in his room, because I was done listening to him cry.

About five minutes later, his cry turned into little wimpers and I wanted nothing more than to go in and get him. I wanted to snuggle with him and tell him I was sorry for getting so frustrated. I opened his door and he was asleep. I felt awful that I had gotten so frustrated with him, especially when he's just a little guy who doesn't know any better. I went and got a blanket and went and laid down next to him. I may or may not have cried a few little quiet tears and told him how sorry I was and kissed his precious cheeks.

I know this is probably the first of many mom fails, but I also hope I remember how awful I felt, so it doesn't become a habit. I don't want to be "that mom."

No comments:

Post a Comment